Thursday, January 28, 2016

RUN AS ONE



I knew I wouldn’t be able to run agility again until April so I convinced Hazel to go with me to Terrell, TX for the Run as One NADAC agility trial early in December. I’ve always heard great things about this club and the opportunity presented itself at the right time. I took a huge chance and entered Marley in 3 runs. Marley hasn’t run agility in about 2 ½ years. I had recently started doing some low jump grids, low A-frames and just some basic conditioning with her. I didn’t know what to expect from her.

The club members were so friendly and welcoming to us. It was their Christmas trial and they had it all decorated for Christmas. I, of course had to take the opportunity for some pictures! 

















It was a long day before the 2 events I had entered Marley came up. I entered her in Novice Weavers….something I will never do again. It was apparent that Marley still hates to weave. She appeared to be confused on the start line. She hadn’t been on a start line in so long, she appeared almost overwhelmed. The run went ok. She tried on her weaves and we finished the course, but way over time. Then we ran Open Tunnelers. She was so happy! Running and bounding in true Marley fashion. No Q due to time but that doesn’t matter. She ran!

 Just the opportunity to run with Marley again is a feeling I can’t describe. I never thought it would happen. I dreamt and prayed about it, but to have that dream come to fruition is a feeling I can’t explain. I had many dreams for Marley in agility…big titles and ribbons. But my big dreams didn’t happen. But what did happen is I found my Soul Dog. She is me. Marley and I are connected like none of my other dogs. I love all my dogs, but there is just something about Marley. If you have been blessed to have met Marley and she has let you into her life, you can’t but help to love her. The precious tilt of her head, the way she lays her head on your knee, the way she ‘praises the Lord’, makes her Marley. And you can’t help but smile when you see Marley.

The next morning the first event was Tunnelers and Marley was on fire! She ran a happy and fun Open Tunnelers run and she Q’d/2. Just to see her so happy was worth everything we have endured. And we have endured a lot. I’m not sure of what I will do with Marley agility wise. She has a few Q’s left in AKC that I would like to finish, but I’m taking a break from AKC for a while. I’m planning on more NADAC trials because their trials are so positive and everyone is happy for everyone regardless of how their run went.




Not to leave her out, Miss Kalea-Kate was a little rock star. She Q’d 6/11 runs. A dropped bar in Jumpers and Chances…my fault. Note to self, don’t yell “Kate” as she’s jumping. It causes the bar to come down. She did her own thing during Touch n Go and Chances. I totally forgot the Weavers course, so she weaved a lot…! KK loved the opportunity to do her distance work. I am looking forward to running her more in NADAC and USDAA in 2016.



 Once I get healthy and everyone gets conditioned and back into some training, we will be on the road in the RV. I’m so looking forward to traveling and bonding with my girls and spending time with Hazel. I just have to be patient and let my body heal. Then I can Run As One with my girls.






No comments:

Post a Comment