Wednesday, September 7, 2016

WHY DO THEY HAVE TO GET OLD?

Why do they have to get old? Both Molly and Missy are well into their senior years. Molly is 15 and Missy is 16.5. These two have been by my side through a lot of ups and downs. This post is about Molly.



Molly was my first dog I got as an adult. She has taught me so much about being a pet parent. I look back now and think of things I wish I had known or done differently. But I didn’t know and Molly lived my experience with me. She was a sickly puppy and we were in and out of vets offices the first two years of her life. I have often wondered if I had been more educated about dogs, maybe I would have used a different food or tried a different vet. Maybe she wouldn't have had to endure so much sickness. Molly also got to be my first dog that I trained. We did basic obedience and she hated it. We tried agility because she was so active. She liked it ok, however I loved it. I overlooked Molly’s happiness and pursued my hobby. I drug her along for the ride. When she didn’t want to do it, I would get so mad at her. I didn’t stop. I just kept pushing her and she responded my pushing back. She didn’t want to do it. Her very last agility run, I set her up at the start jump and told her to ‘jump’. She turned and ran off the course towards the exit. And just like that, her career was over. She had to be brutally obvious with me. She didn’t want to do it and she wasn’t going to anymore. I relented on the agility.


 After we moved into the country, I let Molly be what she always wanted to be. A free dog with lots of acreage and time to explore. She went out every night ‘on patrol’. I don’t know where she went or what she did but she always came home happy. Some nights she would be gone for hours and would return home hungry and ready for bed. The next day as soon as I would get home from work, she wanted back out to ‘patrol’.  On the really hot days, I would have to keep her in until the sun went down. To which she would repay me for the wait by staying out even longer. But Molly was happy. She was getting to be who she was.


Unfortunately time kept moving and Molly was the victim of a GSD attack on several occasions. I had to stop her ‘patrols’ before she was killed doing what she loved doing. It broke my heart to not let her be free but her safety was my top priority. Molly is still my side kick. She loves a car ride! Whether it is to the mailbox or a long afternoon running errands, she always wants to go. She gets so much pleasure hanging her head out the window and breathing in life. We have been together so much, that she can tell the days I’m off work and somehow knows she will get to go with me.

 I cherish every car ride we have together. I may have to help her in and out of the car, but she gets so excited to go that her aging little body doesn’t care. I may have to carry her across the parking lot into stores, but once she's inside, she's ready to explore.He favorite stores are Tractor Supply and Bass Pro Shop. I often take her to the bank for cash just so she can get a cookie, when I could have just used the ATM. The pharmacy is another one of her favorite stops.


Deafness may have robbed her hearing, but she doesn't let it stand in her way. We use a lot of hand signals with her and it works out well. Molly still has her bossy attitude. When she wants a piece of Pupperoni or more food, she will stand in front of the cabinet and bark in a way that means business! She loves to go outside every night and smell the air and bark. Then she will come back in and dig the carpet. After barking and digging all night, she will sleep all day. Just like me, a little night owl. 

I love every moment I have with her. I know one day a decision will have to be made and just the thought of that brings tears to my eyes. I don't know when that fateful day will come, but I pray it will be easy on her. I hope I have given her the life she deserved because she didn't deserve anything less. I know my heart will be fractured into a thousand pieces when she goes, but I know she will get to be with my mom and that makes me smile. My mom will get the see the 'black and white' again. And they will both be so happy to see each other again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment