Monday, April 4, 2011

NOT READY TO GIVE UP

I have spent alot of time this past week thinking about Marley and what I want to do with her. I even skipped agility class last week with her because I was still so frustrated with her. Marley is a challenge for me. She always has been and always will be. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to run a dog without issues. Molly always needed to be coached and cheerleaded through ever obstacle. Marley is the complete opposite but presents a different challenge. She tends to forget her training on the course, gets upset when the game isn't going her way, and then jumps at me.

We have an AKC trial this weekend and I am so hesitant about it. The last AKC trial was horrible. We only completed 1 course out of 5 runs due to her behavior. The judge whistled us off the other 4 times. I will probably let my friend handle her this weekend.

I have decided to continue to train Marley in agility. I'm not ready to write her off. I will not let those that have been so negative about Marley win. Don't tell me I can't do something. I have found a fabulous group of people to train with and have made some amazing friends. They aren't ready to write Marley off either. I know Marley's career will be short due to her health. But I will make the career that she does have, amazing. And I will enjoy it without regrets. I need to rethink my goals with her and unclutter my mind. Enjoy each and every run I have with her!

I have begun thinking about getting another dog to start agility training. Sometimes I think I'm ready for a new dog right away and other times I think I need to wait. Molly and Missy are older and have each other but Marley is younger and needs a friend to play with. This time I will have help in picking a dog that will be an agility candidate.

Regardless of when I choose to get another dog, Marley will always have a place in my heart and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment