Sunday, June 16, 2013

GOAL SETTING

I recently started re-listening to the Mental Management CD. I have been neglecting that side of our agility training lately. So I figured on my daily commute to and from work would be a good time to work on my mental game.


The chapter on goal setting was on the agenda today and I realized I've half heartedly written out goals for Marley and KK's agility this year. I've written out AKC goals for Marley and KK. I decided not to write goals for USDAA as I have only 1 trial on our schedule for this year. So if I decide to do more USDAA this year, I will write out goals. Next year I plan to add more USDAA to our schedule and will devise goals at that time. We are planning on 1 NADAC trial in July and I'm not writing goals for it either. NADAC will probably just be a one a year trial for us.....mostly so Marley can run tunnels. I'm entering KK in all of the NADAC runs because she's young and entering Marley in just tunnelers because I want to protect her body.


As Lanny Bassham says, "Find a dream worth trading your life for". My 'big' dream is for Marley to earn her PACH. It would just be the icing on the cake for me. It would prove to all those who thought Marley was 'too much dog for me', that they were so wrong. I don't know if I can keep Marley healthy enough to push her to try to earn her PACH, but it is a dream for me. So the PACH will be my big dream. I have made AKC goals for Marley this year and will strive for those.


"Don't let caution keep you from experiencing life". I'm the type of person who likes to fly under the radar. I don't like being watched or judged as it makes me feel self conscious. Weird for someone who participates in a sport that is judged and usually has an audience of your peers and the public. I have learned when I go out and 'walk Marley's course' and 'run Marley's course' that I feel better about myself and we usually run well. I have to let go off the feelings that I'm not like everyone else running their fast BC. I run Marley, who likes to run with me. She runs a pretty consistent 3.5-4.0 yps. She doesn't do sends well, likes me onside weaves, and likes running contacts. So I just need to shake off the negative thoughts that get into my head and just RUN Marley. And by running Marley, we can achieve our goals together!

2 comments:

  1. During a time when I was struggling with Legend I was seeking advice from a well respected local handler. I was worried about whether or not I would be able to "fix" her. He told me not to worry because I was young and would have a lot of dogs in my lifetime. Not everything hinged on this one. I know he didn't mean for that to hurt my feelings but it did. She was the dog I had and the one I planned to compete with for many years. It wasn't always easy and we still have our struggles, but eventually we did achieve all the goals we set. And it meant more to me because of those struggles. I'm sure it's nice to have an "easy" dog with all the talent and speed and confidence in the world who earns MACH after MACH but I wouldn't trade what I have for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had an easy dog but I love the dogs I have. I'm going to keep running Marley as long as she wants and work towards our goals. If we ever get that PACH, my friend said she's going to get a life size cut out of Marley and we are going to take it to every trial!! LOL

    ReplyDelete