Saturday, July 28, 2012

HOW TO HANDLE

Since it's too hot to do any real agility, I have been working with Marley and KK on their sit/stays and down/stays. Their Mommy finally broke out the Manners Minder and we have been using that to break up the monotony.

I have now drug a jump into my living room. So now I have a tunnel, a jump, and a hokey in my house. Trying to work a little with KK on more that one obstacle at a time. Sometimes Missy gets tired of the noise and chaos and will go get in the tunnel and lay there so we can't practice anymore.

I have also spent alot of time watching 'successful' handlers on YouTube to see how they handle certain obstacles. Especially the teeter. Marley was taught a 2o2o on the teeter but that was changed as soon as we changed trainers and went to running contacts. KK will have a pause/running teeter and 2o2o on everything else. In my opinion, the 2o2o on the teeter is dangerous. I have yet to find any one handler that I would like to emulate. Some are more fluid but I have noticed at lot of jerky, stop n go movements. I have done the jerky, stop and go, and it really hacks Marley off!! I have learned something from each but not enough to change up what I'm doing now.

In a year I will be running 2 totally different dogs so I will have a huge learning curve. Can't wait for the weather to cool off some so we can get back outside to train!!

No comments:

Post a Comment