Monday, January 21, 2013

ENJOY THE JOURNEY

Life is a journey. Enjoy it!

Marley will start her trialing season next month. I have set goals for her Q-wise, but my biggest goal for her is to want to run with me. For it to be fun for her and me. Don't get me wrong, I love to Q and earn titles, but Marley doesn't know the difference. She only knows if I'm happy at the end of a run. Then she's such a happy, bouncy girl. I just love to see her come out of the ring excited....running for her crate and the reward that lies in wait for her. She amazes me everyday. Just the simple fact that she wants to run agility with me despite suffering from 2 chronic diseases just shows what a big heart she has. I sometimes feel like there is a dark cloud hanging over us, just knowing that 1 of those diseases will end her agility career and may in fact leave her disabled. Knowing that just breaks my heart.

Life is a journey. Enjoy it!

I dreamt last night that agility wasn't judged by time or faults. It was judged by the fun the dog had. At the end of the run, a ring steward handed you a slip of paper with comments about the fun your dog had and a positive comment to encourage you. I think that would be so neat. Think of how the attitudes in agility would change. I hate seeing people fuss at their dog for not Qing or get mad and storm off if they don't get a QQ. Agility is a team sport! The dog is only doing what you told him to do. Maybe you should fuss at yourself or put yourself in the crate for a time out and to think about why you directed the dog wrong!!

The ribbons are for us. The joy is our dog's. The fun is for both of us!

Life is a journey. Enjoy it!

Kalea-Kate will start her agility career soon. I hope I can keep it all in perspective. Take what I've learned from Molly and Marley and apply it to Kalea-Kate.

Life is a journey. Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment