Tuesday, January 8, 2013

KALEA-KATE'S FIRST AGILITY FUN RUNS!

Little Miss Kalea-Kate had her very first agility runs at the Little Dog Training Club on Saturday, January 5, 2013. It was a fund raiser for the Arkansas Pups in Prison program.

This was KK's very first time to run agility somewhere else other than my backyard or at my trainer's house. It was also her first time in a 'trial environment'. She was so good! Quiet in her crate, minded her manners, was super friendly to everyone. It was her first time around alot of dogs and people she didn't know and she handled it like an old seasoned pro.

She did a great job on all of her runs. Paid attention and ran! When she did have a little boo-boo, I could tell in the video that alot of it was my fault. I verbally called her off a jump and she minded...except I meant for her to take the jump but I said "here" and she came to me. Good for KK, bad handling by mommy. She for the most part hit all of her 2o2o contacts....sometimes they turned into a running contact but I was pleased that she didn't bail off anything. I jumped her at 16 and she kept all the bars up. She did a quick down on the table too!! She didn't mind or notice the people in the ring during her runs (Jonathan filming, Pamela being the target minder, the leash runner and Kimo as the judge). Love this baby!!

We are working on weaves and on jumping 20/22. Everyday we are doing something! I'm working on my handling. So lots of boxwork, jump grids, sends, etc.  Waiting on my field to dry some so we can get out there and work some contacts. I can't wait for our classes to start back. I guess I will put her back in a class setting and see what happens. Hope I don't have to go 'Mama Bear' on someone.

I've begun thinking about when it will be a good time to trial with Little Miss Kalea-Kate. I've decided to begin by entering her in a Novice FAST run and see what she does. And then I will go from there. So she may be doing alot of FAST runs for awhile. I will not enter her in regular runs until she is consistently weaving 12 poles, has a flying down on the table, consistently keeps up the bars, pays attention to me, and has good distance. I will not be one of those handlers that enters a dog in a run and then takes 3 minutes to do a run while everyone watching is poking out their eyes and it takes the whole ring crew to pick up all the downed bars! That drives me nuts!! I've actually dozed off in the ring during some of those runs when I was working as a bar setter.  :)

That being said, KK will be ring ready before she enters any 'big girl runs'.

No comments:

Post a Comment