Wednesday, May 8, 2013

GENTLE SOUL

You often hear people refer to one of their dogs as their 'heart dog'. I have a heart dog in Molly and Missy and Kalea-Kate hold very special places in my heart. But Marley is different. She is my 'soul' dog. We have such a special relationship. I adopted her as a 10 week old puppy with an unknown background. She appeared healthy except for a wound to her head that thankfully did not penetrate her skull. A few years later, I found out that Marley was found in a ditch outside of a semi-truck mechanic shop. That explains alot. She is afraid of large men, semi truck motors, motorcycles, children, snarky dogs and the list goes on.


Marley and I have been through so much together. She has had so many illnesses and injuries in her short 5 years. Through Marley, I have had the privilege of visiting 2 vet schools in 2 different states for various illnesses. We have been to multiple vets and a few vet clinics. I could not even begin to count how many appointments we have had and don't dare to think of how much money I have spent.


 As I sit here writing, we are again in another holding pattern. Waiting to see what the mass on Marley's side is. Hoping for the best but trying to prepare myself if the news isn't good. She may have to have surgery to have the mass excised. Hoping we will know more tomorrow.


 I also have to prepare myself that this may put Marley into agility retirement. If this does end her career, I know that I have so many memories of us running together. She has amassed many titles in her short career but the titles don't mean alot. I honestly do not know how many Master JWW and Master Standard Q's we have. I don't keep track of her MACH points. Although I did look them up the other day when a friend and I were talking. People crack me up when they go on about it's a game, we do it for fun and then they whine about not Qing and can quote exactly how many MACH points they have.What does mean alot to me is we got to run together. We got to spend so much time together. I will forever cherish ever run I've had with her and I hope we get to have many more.


We went through alot during her early training and I had to make decisions about the best place for us to train and had to make a hard decision to leave one trainer for another. I found our agility home and I don't regret anything (except I wish I had left the old trainer sooner).


Marley is my 'soul dog'. I get her. She gets me. Even after everything we have been through, all the tears I've shed and everything else, I would still pick Marley. Knowing how much we would go through and all the heartache, I would still pick Marley. I'm a better person for having Marley in my life. I've said this before and will say it again. Marley has few people she trusts and lets into her heart. If you are lucky to be loved by Marley, you too will be a better person for knowing and loving Marley. My mom was one of those lucky people. Marley loved her Grandma and she loved her back.


As I look into Marley's gorgeous eyes, I feel so blessed to be her mom. Marley is my 'soul'.

2 comments:

  1. It's such a treasure to have a soul dog come into your life, isn't it? I lost my heart, my soul, my 4-legged love Casey at 14 yrs old last year. Never ever will another dog fill my soul like she did. We weren't just connected at the hip, she touched my soul.

    I recently found your blog and have enjoyed reading about your life with Marley. I truly hope that the mass is benign and your lives will continue to be intertwined for many years to come :)

    ReplyDelete