Tuesday, December 7, 2010

HIGH POINT

The next couple of months were good for us. Marley was progressing well in her agility. She learned to do 12 weave poles. Her behavior was way better.

I entered Molly in the Teacup Agility Trial since it was just 5 minutes from the house. I worked her in a private class and she seemed happy. Day one of the trial wasn't so good. She started the Alzheimer's routine right away. I left her in the ring as I had been told to do. She came running to me once she realized I was gone. She then paid better attention. She ended up Q'ing 4 times and getting 1st 4 times. One of her runs was a Gamblers and she did it with no problem. She got her weaves every time. I was so happy! She ended up winning best 16" Jumper and Best 16" Veteran.

I entered Marley in an AKC agility trial for practice. She did well for her first trial. She ended up Q'ing and placing 4th in Novice JWW in her very first attempt. She is so different to run than Molly. She is always so happy and really tries.

I then entered her in an UKI agility trial and she Q'd and placed 1st 3 times. She hit her weaves ahead of me and did them perfect. I couldn't be prouder!

My original plan for her had been to debut at the USDAA Hattiesburg trial in July. We went and I had 2 very different experiences. The first was that I tried one more time to run Molly. She managed part of one course and then I couldn't even get her in the ring for the second. I finally came to terms that Molly was retired. It was too much for her and I just couldn't let it go. Seeing how unhappy she was that weekend finally did it for me. I feel so bad that I kept on trying so long with her. Her career last about a year, but in that year she titled 8 times. Not bad for a dog that entered her first agility trial when she was almost 8 years old.

Marley on the other hand, had a fabulous weekend. She qualified 4 times and got 3 1st's and 1 2nd. She was able to run pairs for the first time and didn't even notice the other dog in the ring! She would try to jump up on me at times in the ring but I chaulked that up to bad handling on my part and inexperience on hers.

It was at this trial that I noticed that people from the former training place made comments about Marley in a negative way and ignored her when she tried to be friendly to them. She is a happy dog and just wanted to be acknowledged by people she knew. It broke my heart to see her still treated badly..by people we didn't even see anymore.

I don't get why some people just can't let it go. It was getting old being asked if I was happy where we were training now....really you are? And why did you leave? I didn't realize this crap was going to keep following me for many more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment