Friday, December 10, 2010

ROUGH ROAD

Just as things were going well, we hit a rough patch. Marley had to sit out of agility on pain meds and rest as her hip dysplasia flared up. New Xrays revealed some progression of the dysplasia. As she always does, Marley bounced back.

We were entered in 3 fall agility trials. Marley started acting out in the ring. She began jumping up on me..to the degree that she would even get in front of me and totally stop me. Even with her jumping on me, she managed to earn her first agility title. Novice JWW in AKC. She managed a few more AKC Q's and some USDAA Q's.

At the LRDTC agility trial, her behavior worsened. Now along with the jumping on me, she was biting at me. I excused myself from the ring twice and the judge excused us twice. I finally had enough. I took her to our trainer and left her for 10 days of doggey boot camp. I had to get control of her behavior before it got even worse.

It was not an easy decision for me. I believe Marley can be a great agility and obedience dog...we had just hit a rough patch. We have worked through other issues with Marley before and we can work through this one.

Although I enjoyed being with new friends at the trial, the LRDTC trial was an awful experience for me. I had been ignored by people I had previously trained with at an earlier trial. Even when I tried to talk to them they would either barely acknowledge me or completely ignore me. The behavior continued at this trial. Then I started getting comments about where I chose to train Marley and was even told I should be 'careful' training there.

It was enough. It was hard making the decision to take Marley to the trainer and then to have to deal with petty, ignorant people. Some people just need to get a life and stop worrying about Marley and I.

I have faith that Marley's time with the trainer would help get us back on the right path. I fully trust where and who she's with. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment