Friday, December 28, 2012

MOLLY OLIVIA, MY FIRST BABY!

Molly is my first dog as an adult. I remember vividly going to the HSPC and spotting her in the top crate in the puppy room. I took her out and we went to the play room and she ran after a ball. That sealed the deal for me! I don't think she's run after a ball simce. LOL


She was a very active puppy but a sick one too. She spent the first 2 years of her life in and out of vet clinics with chronic tummy issues. At one point she was so skinny I had people ask me if I fed her! She thankfully outgrew her tummy issues. She tore her CCL when she was about 4. I had it repaired and then she broke her patella and we opted not to have the knee reopened. The vet thought it would cause her more issues as she aged. She gets around just fine as an 11 year old! :)


She got introduced to agility at CARE's Paws on the Pavement charity walk. I was looking for an outlet for her energy and agility was it. We trained off and on for about 5 1/2 years at 2 different training sites. I trialed with Molly for a little over a year when she was 7 years old. She amassed 8 agility titles in 2 different venues before anxiety got the best of her. She could no longer deal with the commotion and noise of a trial venue. Her very last run of her career, she left the ring as soon as I took her leash off. She decided her competitive career was over and it took me awhile and alot of tears before I came to terms with Molly's decision. I decided to just play agility with Molly because she liked it but didn't like to compete. She started having some teeter troubles about the same time that Marley was having difficulty in her agility classes and that's when we left our trainer and moved on to someone that 'got us' and understood my dogs. I slowly stopped taking Molly to agility classes and she's now content in her agility retirement.


She is an independent dog who can ditch her sisters in a second when they all take off for the woods. She's extremely close to me and my dad. She was very close to my mom and I remember her running to look for my mom the weekend my mom was in the hospital. She checked all the places my mom usually was and it absolutely broke my heart because she didn't understand where Grandma was. After my mom died and we took them to the funeral home to see her body, she came home and got in my mom's chair and tried to bite 2 people who got near the chair. To this day, she still sleeps in Grandma's chair.

She's become a homebody as she's gotten older. She loves to go riding but doesn't care when we stay in motels too long. She hates being in a crate at agility trials but loves the ride there and back. She loves Tractor Suppy, the bank, and PetCo because she gets cookies. She likes Lowes but doesn't understand why the cashier doesn't give her a cookie. :)

I love my first baby, Molly Olivia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment